Thursday, July 16, 2009

Breastfeeding 101

This week I’ve been focusing on something that will be very important once Parker arrives; breastfeeding. Sure it’s beautiful, natural, as well as one of the best things I can provide for our little guy. I have a feeling breastfeeding will be like yoga and cooking, it will take practice, team work, diligence, and a good sense of humor about the challenges.

I am excited, but at the same time I worry that I won’t have a large enough supply and that I’ll let Parker down.
Chris and I have three more child birth classes to finish before we start the breastfeeding lesson. I am sure once I have that lesson, and meet with a lactation consultant I’ll feel much better.

Just having my breast pump arrive at our house this week helped me to relax. Of course I've already busted into the tote and have read the directions twice!

In the meantime, I know several wonderful mothers read our blog. I need your help; I would love to hear any tips or stories on the joys of nursing.

6 comments:

Lori said...

It is the best thing ever--makes you feel so close to the baby. It's tough the first few days. Please talk to your consultant about soreness issues of several varieties. (I'll give you my advice in person when we are there for the shower.) There are struggles the first few days, but then it is a piece of cake. You worry too much--you won't have a problem filling him up. Drink plenty of liquids, which you do anyway, and no worries.

Sarah said...

First of all--just pray about it. I watched a very close friend of mine really struggle with breastfeeding, so I prayed the entire time I was pregnant for peace with breastfeeding! Really--I prayed A LOT because it was really important to me.
Second of all, RELAX! Things are usually not perfect in the beginning, it takes practice, but the two of you will work through the challenges together!
And third--hang in there for the first week! Lanolin will be your best friend! And the soreness will subside!
The lactation nurses at the hospital are wonderful and are always there if have any questions. Before you know it, it will be second nature to you!
I LOVED nursing my baby!! And I loved working with new breastfeeding moms, such a special time!

Abby Reed said...

Of course, I know nothing about breastfeeding, but I definitely agree with your friend Sarah -- PRAY PRAY PRAY. You'd be surprised just how much peace that will bring you... with *any* challenges or concerns you may face.

And of course, I will pray for you as well. Love!

Camey said...

You'll do just fine Amber. Just relax and enjoy nursing. If you eventually have to supplement with formula that's fine too. Don't stress! Parker will be a healthy, happy baby and you will be a great mom.

Jaden Berkeley and Mia said...

I agree with the other girls, alot of prayer. I was more worried about nurisng than the delivery! My advise is gonna seem weird/grose and maybe TMI but it will help you. Mess with your nipples. There I said it. Rough them up a bit! Rub on them. It may cause you to have some contractions so if you have them and you are not close to your due date, then just stop. When we were doing "operation Mia evacuation" I would do "nip stim" and turn them like radio dials! (with a little olive oil) it would make me have contractions but they would stop as soon as I stopped rubbing. When it was time to nurse, I really didn't get that sore!

Emily said...

Haha, Amber your friends gave great advice! I dont think you need to worry much with such a great support system at your back! Jacob was a terrible breastfeeder. I breast fed for 11 1/2 months and I hated it the whole time. However, I wont even hesitate to do it again. I have no regrets and will do it with all my children Lord willing. I agree with your friends, lactition consultants are wonderful!! and call friends when it gets hard, its nice to have good support. :)