Friday, June 19, 2009

The Best Teacher

I’ve had the biggest smile on my face for the past hour.
It is strange how one phone call can make your day and lift your spirits. I had to share this story since my post yesterday made me sound like a complaining child.

I had only been at work for about an hour this morning when I received a phone call from a woman who is participating in a lock-up fundraiser for us this fall.
I had spoken with this woman yesterday and she didn’t seem too excited about the fundraising part of the event. After we hung up I thought to myself...she’ll cancel.

Our conversation this morning was completely different. She seemed excited and I could tell that I was on speaker phone.
She said: “I am calling you this morning because last night my 8-year old son said he was proud that I was going to help send your kids to camp. He wants to help.”

Then I heard her son: “Can I fundraise too? I will send all of these kids to camp! I promise!”

The woman then explained how her son doesn’t have any friends with disabilities so she was amazed that he feels so strongly about helping. She then got a little emotional and said her son makes her a better person and if he could he would make the world a better place.

I know that Parker will make me a better person. He already has. I think about the simple things that we have already shared like hiccups and kicks. I also think about my strong feelings for this tiny little person who Chris and I haven’t met yet. I would do anything to protect him and turn my life upside down for him. I love him. I am looking forward to the moments we’ll share and all the lessons that I’ll learn.

No comments: