Friday, June 12, 2009

Our Plan

I had a mommy moment during our child birth class this week. Before we started the actual class we had to watch a short DVD of a woman during her labor. After her birth she breastfed her baby girl for the first time. I watched as the infant opened her beautiful brown eyes and gazed deep into her mommy’s eyes. As I watched the mom and baby look at each other I felt a strong tug at my heart.
It was a simple moment.
It was a special moment.
I cannot wait until Parker and I share that moment.

The entire month of June Chris and I will learn more about the first, second, and third stages of labor. In fact before next weeks class Chris and I are to come up with our birth plan.

A natural childbirth is something that I have always felt very strongly about...I only feel bad that I haven’t taken the time to write more blogs about why.
I guess part of me fears the scrutiny I could possibly face. Another part of me fears that my opinion will offend my readers.
When I say natural childbirth I mean no medication; this includes an epidural.
Have I lost my mind? Aren’t I scared to death of the pain and the exhausting work?

With only a few weeks remaining in my pregnancy the only things I fear are... failure, having to have a medically recommended c-section, and having to justify or clarify why my labor ended up being a delivery after Parker arrives.

I am not in anyway saying that women who have epidurals or medication are failures, I respect all moms. However, Chris and I have worked hard and prepared for Parker’s birth day.

My heart goes out to women who must have a Cesarean Section due to complications. I pray that this doesn’t happen to me.
My friend Katie had a c-section with her son and it took her a while to recover. During that time she felt like she missed out on a lot of time with a growing Caleb. With that said, opting for this type of surgery doesn’t sound good to me. There is no level of pain or exhaustion that would have me volunteering for an unnecessary Cesarean Section.

When I mention a natural childbirth I will either hear horror stories about labor or I’ll hear random babble about how I must have a high pain tolerance.
My decision for this type of birthing plan has nothing to do with pain tolerance.
My decision is this simple...I want to give birth to Parker.
I want to listen to my body. I want to listen to Parker and help push him out when he is in need.
If I have an epidural or medication a doctor will tell me when and how hard to push, Chris will warn me of a contraction by watching a monitor, and then the doctor will deliver Parker.
I would then spend the first week or so of our son’s life justifying my need for an epidural instead of sharing sweet stories about my strong baby boy.

4 comments:

Julia Soler said...

If could go back and do it over again, I would say no epidural. for me personally, they are more of a problem than a help. My emergency C-Section with Jared was scary but I got through it and we are both great. I know no matter what course your delivery takes you will do wonderful!

Camey said...

I agree with the comment above mine. I've had a babies both with and without an epidural. I would say those epidurals get too much credit. You'll do great:)

Ingram Gang said...

Have you ever read Supernatural Childbirth? I may have already suggested this to you, but it's great. I read it with both of my children. I'm not really sure where you stand with the Lord, but it's a great book about how Jesus can prepare you for a supernatural childbirthing experience. It's an easy read.

Jaden Berkeley and Mia said...

More power to you. This is totally your experience and you should do it how you want to no matter what people think. Weather you go totally natural or decide later that you want some pain meds, please don't feel that you have to justify your decision to anyone. You will do great.