Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Good Dogs

After dinner last night Chris and I decided to take Copper and Duke for a 15-20 minute walk around our neighborhood. During our walk I started to wonder how they feel about the new baby situation.

They know something is very different.
Oddly enough neither one of them seems to be stressed out by Parker’s arrival, or at least they don’t have any of the warning signs.
They haven’t misbehaved or destroyed anything inside our house.
They haven’t gone to the bathroom where they shouldn’t.
Neither one of them have avoided or ignored us.
They’ve been good dogs.

I must give most of the credit to Copper. I have never been around such a calm dog and because of his larger size I forget that he is still a puppy. I haven’t always shown it during my pregnancy but I am glad he is part of our family.

To be honest...I don’t have too many fears when it comes to either of our dogs and Parker. At the same time I know it will be quite an adjustment to have a newborn around so it’s important that we plan ahead and set our rules now.

Yesterday I found a great article with a lot of tips on familiarizing your dog with baby.
It recommends that we get Duke and Copper used to baby things before Parker arrives. It suggests that we even rub diaper cream on our hands and let them smell.
Do you know of any other things we should try?

No comments: